Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Goodbye Suzuki, no more Manners


We've decided to discontinue violin lessons for you guys this year.  Maggie has taken suzuki for 5 years and is moving on to the guitar.  Sally has taken for 2 years and is going to start piano.  We're a little bit sad about this, but mostly we feel the change is good and was a long time coming.  We started Maggie in lessons because I've always liked violin (I'm a failed violinist myself) and Mag's cousins, Henry and Sam study violin and I saw some of their early concerts and was really impressed.  Maggie has an excellent ear for music and always impressed her teacher Julie with how quickly she'd pick things up.  Sally started going to Maggie's lessons with me soon after she came home from China and would bring her own makeshift violin and 'play' it during Maggie's lessons.  It was a pink fuzzy flamingo slipper and a chopstick.  (sooo cute, I wish I had a picture of that). Julie saw Sally's passion and told us to start her in lessons. But Maggie has such a good singing voice, I think she'll really like writing and performing her own music and Sally LOVES piano and is excited to start. They're both instruments that you can play your whole life.  The mention of Manners in the blog title refers to the woman who ran the suzuki program in Pasadena. She was very 'old school', yelled at Tony about wearing a baseball cap inside and was fairly humorless in recitals.  We had a bit of fun around the house joking about how we were always a big disappointment to Manners.  So, we're sorry Miss Manners, but I bet you won't miss us ...

No comments: