Saturday, March 13, 2010

school birthday

On Thursday I brought treats into Sally's class to celebrate her birthday. Sally chose Italian Ice because one little boy in the class is gluten and dairy free and often has to sit out when others are eating cupcakes or cookies. He was so excited that he got to eat what the other kids were eating. He asked Sally to ask me where I got them so he can tell his mom. It was so cute to watch Sally write "Smart and Final" on a piece of paper and put it in her backpack.

Today was another reminder how far Sally has come. The first year I brought her birthday treat in, she was so shy and uncomfortable with all the attention, she sat in my lap the whole time. Today she confidently helped me pass out the treats and when one little girl asked if she could have strawberry, Sally said, "You get what you get and you don't get upset." (and then she made sure Zelia got strawberry.)

I also got to witness Sally's 'club', the blue butterflies, initiate a new member. Sally and some of her friends have this club, I don't think it has any function, except to be something they could name, and make signs for club 'meetings'. Anyway, this girl Olivia walked up and asked if she could join. The girls said she has to like blue butterflies and she has to be in the 'play' they are going to make up. Olivia agreed and the girls toasted her with their ices.

No comments: